Our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free tax preparation to low and moderate-income households.
Did you make less than $64,000 in 2023 and need help filing your taxes?
We can help, our IRS-Certified volunteers are available to help prepare your returns and answer any tax-related questions you may have at no cost for those who qualify:
Appointments available now! Call 211 to make an appointment or click the link below for an specific site appointment.
CENTRAL SAN DIEGO
2001 Newton Avenue
San Diego, CA 92113
1PM – 7PM
San Martin De Porres Apartments
9119 Jamacha Road
Spring Valley, CA 91977
1PM – 8PM
MAAC Community Center
1387 Third Avenue
Chula Vista, CA 91911
1PM – 8PM
MAAC North Campus
956 Vale Terrace Drive
Vista, CA 92084
9AM – 4PM
Sites open January 22nd through April 15th.
What to Bring:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN which can include:
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Proof of income such as W-2’s and 1099 forms and other tax-related documents for 2023
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Coverage information for each person on the return if health insurance was provided though the marketplace
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
Our VITA tax sites cover the following scope of service:
- W-2 Income
- Limited Interest and Dividend Income Reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV (SCH B)
- Retirement Income
- Student Education Expenses
- Unemployment Income
- Student Education Credits
- Student Loan Interest
- Standard Deduction or Itemized Deduction (SCH A)
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
- Child Tax Credits
- Child and Dependent Care Expenses
- Capital Gain or Loss (SCH D)
- Business Income or Loss (SCH C)
- Amended Individual Tax Return (for returns completed at a MAAC VITA site)
- Applications for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Assistance with ITIN Renewals
Interested in becoming a VITA volunteer?
Please fill out our volunteer interest form.
As a volunteer, you will help save taxpayers save money while assisting them in claiming the EITC and other credits they may be eligible for, helping individuals and families maximize their tax returns while helping reduce poverty. All while gaining practical and professional experience in working with clients that will increase your employability – Volunteers will obtain an IRS certification as a VITA tax preparer.