Scholarship Status: CLOSED
Available: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 | Deadline: Sunday, July 4, 2021 | Selections: Monday, August 2, 2021
About the Scholarship
The Consulate General of Mexico in San Diego, in partnership with MAAC, launched the Colibrí MX Scholarship in December 2019. This scholarship aims to promote access to higher education for immigrant students of Mexican or Latinx descent residing in San Diego County.
We will award a select number of eligible students with a $1,000 USD scholarship. Additionally, students who are eligible for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program can also apply for a supplementary $500 USD scholarship. Our goal is to provide Mexican or Latinx students with the resources and support needed to start their journey towards a college degree.
The colibrí, or hummingbird, transcends borders as it makes its annual migration from the United States to Mexico. It symbolizes hope, perseverance and personal strength — the same principles that our immigrant families exemplify as they seek greater economic mobility in the United States.
We aim for Colibrí MX to become a catalyst for social networks to support our future Mexican and Latinx Leaders and build healthier and vibrant communities here in San Diego and across the US.
- Be a first-time college student (No prior enrollment in college)
- Be enrolled for Fall 2021 semester, minimum 6 credit hours (Must provide proof of enrollment before award is granted)
- Have a 2.5 cumulative high school GPA or above
- Be an immigrant of Mexican or Latinx descent or the child of immigrant parents of Mexican or Latinx descent (Must submit a copy of the birth certificate or personal identification)
- Demonstrate financial need
- Reside within the County of San Diego
As a supplement to your online application, you must:
- Submit proof of residence in San Diego County (e.g. copy of a utility bill in applicant or parent’s name)
- Submit a copy of your birth certificate or personal identification to demonstrate Mexican or Latinx heritage.
- Submit your academic transcript that includes your GPA.
- Submit a copy of your college acceptance letter.
- Write and submit a 600 word essay that answers one of the following questions:
- What have you done to make your school or your community a better place?
- Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to overcome this challenge. How has this challenge affected your academic achievement?
For questions and technical assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Our program staff can support students with completing financial aid applications, editing scholarship essays, building a resume, planning ahead for college, and admissions questions. All support is free!
Support Our Scholarship Program
Help us support even more students in their pursuit of higher education by contributing to our program. Your tax-deductible donation will go directly towards scholarships for eligible students.
For contributions made via check, please make payable to MAAC and include ColibriMX in the memo line. Mail/deliver to:
ColibriMX Scholarship Program c/o MAAC, 1355 Third Avenue, Chula Vista, CA 91911
You may also contribute via credit card using the button link below. Please select Colibri MX Scholarship Program under listed options before submitting your tax-deductible contribution.
MAAC is the fiscal agent for the Colibri MX Scholarship Program and is recognized as an exempt organization as described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code; EIN 95-2457354.
Brought to You in Partnership by
The Consulate General of Mexico in San Diego has the responsibility of safeguarding the welfare of any Mexican national living in San Diego County. The Consulate also provides information and advising about the rights of Mexican nationals and connects them to specific resources. Click here for more information.
MAAC is the leading provider of comprehensive social services in San Diego County and works to create healthier and stronger communities by providing a space where individuals and families in need can find means to self-sufficiency through advocacy and access to high-quality programs in five key areas of focus: Affordable Housing, Economic Development, Education, Health & Wellbeing, and Advocacy & Leadership Development. Click here for more information.
Special Thanks to the 2021 Colibrí MX Committee:
Ana Elizabeth Encinas Monforte
Art & Interior Design Consultant, Monforte and Company
Francisco Javier Fimbres
Public Relations and Government Affairs, Grupo Calimax
Attorney at Law
Co-Founder and Senior Managing Director, LM Capital Group
Alejandra Mier y Terán
Executive Director, Otay Mesa Chamber of Commerce
Gabriel Pérez Krieb
CEO & Chairman, Chosen Foods
President, SVPR Communications
With Gratitude to Our 2021 Donors
Maria Beatriz Fimbres Sánchez
Funeraria del Angel
Juan Pablo Mariscal
Mariz Teresa Sánchez de la Mora
Claudio Villa Olvera