MAAC DUI Education Program Impact due to COVID-19 Pandemic
In light of guidelines issued by the County of San Diego Department of Public Health regarding COVID-19, MAAC DUIP is now operating with a modified schedule Monday-Friday 9am to 9pm. All individual and group sessions will be conducted via remote services until further notice.
We are currently conducting Telehealth Services using a HIPAA compliant Zoom platform. Program fee payments may be completed over the phone; in-person payments must be scheduled ahead of time to ensure social distancing is observed (no walk-ins).
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an orientation, please call 619-409-1780. In-person payments can be made at our office Monday through Friday from 9 am to 6 pm.
MAAC DUI PROGRAM
1355 Third Avenue, Chula Vista, CA 91911
PROGRAM HOURS OF OPERATION:
9 AM – 9 PM Mon-Fri
PHONE & FINANCE OFFICE HOURS:
9 AM – 6 PM Mon-Fri
MAAC’s Driving Under the Influence (DUI) Education Program aims to reduce the negative impact and number of people driving under the influence of controlled substances. The program is part of MAAC’s Health & Well-being pathway and offers safe, supportive, and confidential counseling services to individuals whose driving privileges have been restricted due to DUI.
This program is one of three agencies in San Diego County that are licensed by the State of California and serves nearly 1,600 participants every month.
Participants are referred by the San Diego County Superior Court, San Diego County Probation Office, or the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). MAAC’s team of certified alcohol and drug counselors provides individual and group counseling sessions, as well as education services and resources to drivers and their families. While enrolled in the program, participants explore and discuss their relationship with alcohol or drugs with the goal of identifying the causes that led them to drink and drive, and ultimately prevent a recurrence.
The program takes between 6 weeks to 18 months to complete. Counseling sessions and classes are available in English and in Spanish, five days per week with day and evening options to offer participants flexibility in scheduling.
Since its establishment in 1976, the program has helped more than 63,000 individuals re-evaluate their relationship with controlled substances keeping our streets and communities safer.
How to Sign Up for a Mandated DUI Program:
Participants should have the following information on hand to start the enrollment process (this can usually be found on referrals/DMV printout).
- Current Address
- Phone Number
- Date of Birth
- Arrest Date
- BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration)
- Case Number
- Driver’s License Number
- Court Referral/DMV printout
- Email Address
You will need to schedule an appointment for orientation by calling (619) 409-1780 ext. 1201. It is the participant’s responsibility to know what program they will be enrolling for as MAAC does not determine the length or type of program participants enroll in.
In addition, the following documentation and steps will be needed to complete enrollment. Please note, due to COVID-19 all programs are conducted via Zoom. Participants will need a valid email and the Zoom app downloaded on their electronic device.
- A Court referral, DMV Admin Per Se (APS) and Citation from law enforcement or a Driving History Print out from the DMV, will be needed at the time of the appointment for orientation.
- Court Referral: Given to participant at the San Diego County’s Substance Abuse Assessment Unit (SAAU) after court date.
- DMV Admin Per Se: Letter from the DMV stating that participant’s license was suspended and this document will include the arrest date.
- Driving History Print Out: Required to have a proof of enrollment sent to the DMV for a restricted license.
- Citation from law enforcement can be used but must be accompanied with the Admin Per Se letter from the DMV.
- Down payment will need to be made at the time of orientation. Forms of payment accepted include money order, cashier check, Visa or Master Card.. Participants must confirm with the receptionist when scheduling their appointment on the amount that will be due and prices are subject to change.
- Photo identification, names need to match the paperwork and photo ID.
- Bring the documentation listed above to orientation. This will help speed up the process.
- DMV Form (Only if requesting a proof of enrollment and you must have a Driving History print out from either online or the DMV)
ORIENTATION is MANDATORY. Participants will review program rules, sign contract, consent forms and will then be sent to scheduling team.
The team will schedule participants for classes and education sessions at that time. Only those requesting proof of enrollment will get a copy. Please allow 5 business days for this to occur. Participants should be ready with dates and times they will be available to take classes. Group sessions run from 9 am to 7 pm, days vary.
From here participants are ready to take classes. They receive Zoom link and must sign in five minutes early to deal with connectivity issues, 9:03 (for example) would be cut off time to enter classes. Rules and regulations will be followed during Zoom meetings.
Classes are completed based upon state requirements and length time. Any missed activities will result in a delayed completion program and a missed activity fee
Program completion takes place when the participant finishes all group, face-to-face sessions, education and self-help courses, and there is a zero balance on the participant’s account. The DMV will be notified within 10 days of completion.
Counselor Contact Information:
|Harold Bushemail@example.com||Ext 1227|
|Gildardo Cazaresfirstname.lastname@example.org||Ext 1220|
|Walter Hutchinsemail@example.com||Ext 291|
|Myles Kurashigefirstname.lastname@example.org||Ext 1206|
|Macrina Leyvaemail@example.com||Ext 1224|
|Lydia Lopezfirstname.lastname@example.org||Ext 1222|
|John McCreadyemail@example.com||Ext 1232|
|Joe Mesafirstname.lastname@example.org||Ext 1221|
|Rudy Orozcovemail@example.com||Ext 1226|
|Bill Rochafirstname.lastname@example.org||Ext 1245|
|Sylvia Rugamaemail@example.com||Ext 1234|
|Danielle Sillsfirstname.lastname@example.org||Ext 1230|
|Ty Tyleremail@example.com||Ext 1218|
MAAC’s DUI Program is a program of